Heel pain is one of the most prevalent symptoms affecting the foot. The greatest incident of heel pain occurs in middle aged men and women; however, this symptom may affect people of any age.
There are thought to be many causes of heel pain, the most common being feet with flatter arches, feet that “roll in” or pronate, and also high arched foot types. These foot postures can place excessive stress on the heel bone (Calcaneus), the plantar fascia, and other surrounding connective and soft tissues.
Heel pain is usually associated with inflammation of the connective tissues within the sole of the foot. This inflammatory process is usually secondary to an underlying biomechanical abnormality or pathology. An accurate diagnosis is paramount to the appropriate management and resolution of your problem. There are many conditions which may present as heel pain and professional advice should be sort if you suffer with such symptoms.
Depending on the underlying cause, your podiatrist may employ a treatment plan including any or all of the following:
- Rest from activities that stress the heel (such as running and jumping)
- The application of Ice (Ice packs etc.)
- Regular foot massage, concentrating on the arch of the foot
- Professional strapping
- A splint worn at night
- Flexibility exercises
- Ultrasound therapy
- Anti-inflammatory medicine (topical or oral)
- Checking your posture and walking style, to correct imbalances and gait abnormalities that may contribute to the pain
- Shoe inserts (orthoses) to help support the foot
- In some cases, surgery may be recommended to treat conditions including neuroma, bursitis and heel spurs.
At Vibe we offer a range of mechanical and manual therapies to help resolve your foot and lower limb symptoms in a timely fashion. We provide a multi-disciplinary approach to your care with a variety of allied health that can assist – If you have foot pain call us and start the “Heeling” process with a podiatry consult!